West rushes more aid as Mariupol teeters and fighting ragesPublished 1 month ago Views (14) Finance
KYIV, Ukraine — The West moved to pour billions more in aid into Ukraine on Friday, as Russia shifted forces freed up by the imminent fall of the pulverized port city of Mariupol and fighting raged in the country’s industrial heartland in the east.
Ukraine said its troops repelled a Russian attack in the grinding, back-and-forth battle for the Donbas, the mostly Russian-speaking expanse of coal mines and factories that the Kremlin is bent on capturing.
Battered by their nearly three-month siege of the Mariupol, Russian troops need time to regroup, Britain’s Defense Ministry said in an assessment, but they may not get it.
With the battle winding down for the steel plant that represented the last bastion of Ukrainian resistance in Mariupol, Russia is continuing to pull back forces there, and their commanders are under pressure to quickly send them elsewhere in the Donbas, according to the British.
“That means that Russia will probably redistribute their forces swiftly without adequate preparation, which risks further force attrition,” the ministry said.
An undisclosed number of Ukrainian soldiers remained at the Azovstal steel plant. Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said more than 1,900 surrendered in recent days. Also remaining at the...
Angie Fox writes sweet, fun, action-packed mysteries. Her characters are clever and fearless, but in real life, Angie is afraid of basements, bees, and going up stairs when it is dark behind her. Let’s face it. Angie wouldn’t last five minutes in one of her books.
- 1. Man accused of fatally shooting Lyft driver to steal car and go to family gathering
- 2. Toddler orphaned after father shielded him during Highland Park shooting live
- 3. Terrifying details about horror injuries suffered by boy killed in hit run
- 4. Uvalde students ‘could have been saved’ if officer was allowed to shoot, report finds
- 5. Police missed chances to stop Uvalde gunman before school shooting: report National | Globalnews.ca
- 6. Heated neighbour disputes in Kawartha Lakes include assaults, threats with crossbow: OPP Peterborough | Globalnews.ca
- 7. Dozens of body parts found after chilling message about 4 or 5 deaths a day
- 8. Who are the victims of the Highland Park mass shooting?
- 9. Harrowing cries of man who was starved to death while tied to bed revealed
- 10. July 4 shooters parents speak out after its revealed mom squared off with cops